31 December 2011

they don't teach this in kindergarten

Winter is often a strange time for me.  Even though the weather has been awesome (60 degrees in December?!), I have still been a little bored and stir-crazy.  Usually, when the colder months come rolling in, I get my craft on.  I have been seeing a lot of people posting on Pinterest and other sites (here and here) about melted Crayon art.  I really like the way all of the colors blend together, and I knew I had to try it!  You simply use a hot glue gun to affix naked crayons onto a canvas and prop the canvas up at a little bit of an angle.  Then, use a hair dryer to melt the crayons into oblivion. 

I opted to paint the canvas black to add more contrast.  And I only picked out the colors I liked, instead of going for the rainbow effect.  The results?  I love it!  I just don't think this is what my Kindergarten teacher had in mind when we had "Crayon Time" in the classroom. 



Here are some helpful tips I found along the way:
1. Use a diffuser, otherwise the wax will splatter all over the place. 
2. Take your time!  You can have a little more control over the final product by directing the hairdryer in the direction you want the wax to run. 

1 comment:

  1. You totally beat me to trying this! I wanted to do that with Rielly but didn't know what to place the crayons on.
    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete