24 July 2011

Project #2- I think this wall would be better as a door

As is common in older houses, my house has a separate kitchen, dining room, and living room.  Unfortunately, that is not my style.  A more modern look is the great room, open floor plan concept.  While I may not be able to fully achieve this without my second story becoming one with my first story, there are definitely some things I can do to open up the space. 


This picture is taken in the kitchen, looking out into the breakfast nook.  As you can imagine, this area was not used for dining, as evidenced by the elliptical.  On the other side of that wall, is my living room.  I thought it would be so much better if that wall was a doorway instead.  So...

...I got to work.  Yes, that is a hatchet.  I am sure there are other, more appropriate tools for this job, but this one seemed to work well.  Until...


...I thought for sure I smashed through to the other side.  Eventually, I will need to smash through to the other side, but now is not the time.  Luckily, I did well and ended up with an opening about 7-feet tall. 


I promise, this will be awesome when it is completely done, and you will want to do the same thing in your kitchen.  Now, what to do about that wiring.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment