23 July 2011

Project #1-Get rid of the popcorn

Since my house was built about 30 years ago, it is a given that it has popcorn-style ceilings.  I have no idea why anyone ever thought popcorn ceilings were a good idea, but whoever invented them is most certainly my worst enemy right now. 

Luckily, I am not the one actually doing the work on this one.  We hired someone to do this for us, and believe me, it is worth it.  The method they are using is to scrape off all of the popcorn, prime the exposed drywall, texturize the ceiling, and then paint it.  It seems relatively easy.  What's the worst thing about this project?  The fact that the entire first floor is covered in a quarter inch layer of white dust.  While the contractors did put up sheets of plastic to keep the dust to its designated room, it doesn't appear to have helped.  The coffee maker had to be moved to the upstairs bathroom, the stove cannot be used, and I am pretty sure that is not flour in my blender!

The contractors assured me that they would clean everything up once they were finished, but I am skeptical.  I anticipate the ceilings on the first floor should be complete within another week, and then on to the next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment