06 October 2010

Here comes Fall!

What an awesome weekend!  The temperature dropped quite a bit, which kicked me into Fall.  What better way is there to welcome Fall than with apples?  None that I could think of.  And this is why I spent much of my weekend elbows-deep in them. 

Last weekend, I picked more apples than I could carry on my own.  I am not quite sure how large a bushel is, but if it is anything close to the size of a giant, overflowing laundry basket, then I may be on the right track.  Thankfully, I own something that I call the Apple Machine.  This is a metal device that suctions to your counter top that peels, cores and slices apples at lightning speed.  Without this amazing invention, it would literally take weeks for me to process all of the apples. 

After the peeling and coring and slicing, I put many of the apple slices in the dehydrator to turn them into apple chips.  When the dehydrator was full, I put the remaining apple slices into a pot and turned them into apple sauce.  This took several hours, but it did make the whole house smell like apples!  There is nothing quite like eating a bowl of warm, home-made applesauce when there is a little chill in the air to put me in the mood for Fall.  Soon it will be time for pumpkin patches, hay rides, and drinking apple cider.

No comments:

Post a Comment