08 October 2010

The Beginning of an Adventure

When I began this blog, I decided it would serve several purposes.  One of these is to chronicle my attempts at living a more sustainable life.  Some may wonder what this means.  Going "off the grid?"  Not really.

I found myself asking questions such as "If I can grow the vegetables I like to eat, why should I buy them at the store?  If all applesauce is just squished up apples, why can't I make that?  What actually goes into making many of the things most people buy at the store?"  These questions led to my version of trying to live a more sustainable life.  I want to create a vegetable garden so that I know exactly what is going on my food.  I have learned to make homemade vegetable stock, rather than buying it.  I make applesauce, jelly, dog treats, and all kinds of things instead of buying them. If I can make what I need rather than buy it, I am going to try.  It might turn out terribly (like my adventures in bread making), but it also might turn out incredibly (hello peach jelly!). 

I have been doing many things to be more self-sustaining for a while, such as making jelly and applesauce and knitting.  The vegetable garden will be a new endeavor that I am extremely excited about.  Even though it is October, this endeavor has begun.  I look forward to sharing my successes (and failures) with you, so check back to find out how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment