12 March 2014

Teal Polyester Refab!!

While perusing the racks at my favorite thrift store, I found this! Stunning in all of its polyester glory, I know.




I did not waste any time. First, I chopped off the sleeves and turned it around. I really did not want to deal with buttons down the front, and this seemed like the easiest way to avoid them. 




Next, I cut off the collar and turned it inside out.





I also cut off the fabric with the buttons and the button holes. Then, I pinned the seam back together and sewed it in place.




Next, I got to work making it fit by bringing in the sides some




Then, I sewed the sides in place and cut off the excess fabric.





Not too bad, so far!




There was some gaping on the sides, so I put in some darts to fix this. I seriously just start pinching and pinning the fabric until it lies flat. Nothing fancy. 




The front was still a little too high so I cut off an inch there. I also knew I wanted a key hole, so I marked with a pin where I wanted it to end and snipped! 




Then, I pinned and sewed the raw edges of the key hole. 





Next, I pinned and sewed the top of the key hole in place.




Making progress! I sewed all of the raw edges around the arms and neck under and slapped it back on the dress form. 





The fit was still not great. I found some elastic and decided it would do the job. I made it about 2 inches shorter than the circumference of my waist and sewed the ends together. 



Next, I pinned the elastic to the inside waist of the dress. I made sure that I got it on there evenly by pinning it first to all of the seams. Then, I sewed it in place with a zig zag stitch (so it stretches)!




I found some very thin ribbon type stuff that I had and used this for the straps. I sewed it by hand to the inside of the fabric so that the edges and stitches would not be visible.



And, done! 

  

                         
















I love it! The pattern gives it a bit of a 60s feel. 


Here is the breakdown.
$2.99 for the dress
About 30 cents for the ribbon and piece of elastic.
Total cost=$3.29
Seriously.









No comments:

Post a Comment