08 November 2011

The weather has changed, and that means that my garden has gone into hibernation.  It seems like just yesterday I was placing my little seedlings in the ground and waiting with anticipation.  Where does the time go?  Autumn is definitely a bittersweet time.  While I love the little bit of chill in the air and changing leaves, it’s definitely sad to look out at the garden that is now just a dirt rectangle.  The idea of the “circle of life” is driven home. 

After pulling out the tomato cages, I pulled out all of the plants.  Some of them went into the compost bin, but the rest of them were mowed over and have been worked back into the soil.  Next year’s harvest will be strengthened by this year’s remains. 

Even though I will not be harvesting anything, does not mean that I am not still benefitting from the garden.  The garlic and onions that were picked in August will last in my basement for months, and the jars of stuff I canned will surely be eaten soon!  There is nothing like a little taste of Summer in the dead of Winter. 

Now to begin planning for next year…

No comments:

Post a Comment