17 August 2011

Tomatotopia

I might be deconstructing my house little by little, but the garden lives on!  The zucchini production has slowed down, but I am still harvesting one or two a week and just as many yellow squash.  Unfortunately, squash bugs invaded, and only a few brave plants were able to withstand their attacks. 

Tomatoes, however, are another story.  For approximately three weeks, the tomato plants were only producing one tomato a week.  I was certain that I had done something wrong, and that they were a lost cause.  I did not factor in that it was very early for tomatoes to even begin to ripen.  And then it happened...Tomatotopia.  I quickly realized that my wimpy mixing bowl was not going to suffice.  I went back into the house, picked up a laundry basket, and went back out to the garden.  Keep in mind that my neighbors are already not particularly fond of me and my garden endeavors, but on this occassion, they seemed especially confused and concerned. 

I started harvesting tomatoes, and by the time I was done, I had picked 68.  In one day!  Over the course of the next week, I went out to the garden four more times and ended up with a grand total of 236 tomatoes in a one week period.  Instantly, a new rule was instituted in my house: Everyone must eat at least one tomato at every meal. 

Right now, when I open my refrigerator, all I see are tomatoes.  I have been slowly working on turning some of them into sauce and other various creations, but I think that this coming weekend will be full of canning tomatoes!  Keep an eye out for more posts on that...and perhaps even a video if you're lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment